Sametime

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Fri Jul 15 16:57:24 EDT 2011

Nathaniel Babb wrote:
> Is there a way to have pidgin run from a web server that would enable
> iphone / ipad to browse to it and connect to sametime with set parms? No
> need to have a dedicated app. It's just a matter of communicating when
> online. No pushes, etc.

Firstly this doesn't relate to Sametime, which is probably a good thing,
as I don't think Pidgin currently has any Sametime using developers!

If there is a port of VNC to iphone/ipad, you could run a VNC server (NB
not a web server), on a Unix-like box, or possibly even under Cygwin.
You may find the network traffic levels are unacceptable given mobile
internet prices.  Actually, as there is a Java port of VNC, I assume you
could definitely use a VNC solution.

If there is a X-Server for IOS, you could also use that to access the
X-Windows version of Pidgin, although there would be similar network
bandwidth issues, possibly worse, and greater security issues.

> Would this allow for GPL development, etc and get this functionality out
> to people?

Don't see how it would affect GPL development, and the network bandwidth
might make the solution financially unacceptable, except over WiFi from
a fixed network.

--
David Woolley