IRC Nickname retention

Dave Warren lists at hireahit.com
Tue Jul 19 01:18:48 EDT 2011

On 7/18/2011 8:50 PM, we are the JOE wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out a way to get Pidgin to reclaim an IRC nickname (on servers with no 'nickserv') when it becomes available....something functionally equivalent to irssi's "keepnick" script.  I've been looking through all the libpurple functions, and even through the pidgin source code (under protocols/irc), but cannot see a way to accomplish this.  Anyone have any ideas?  This would make a great plugin, or even a great core feature.

For my own part, I wanted more control and flexibility than pidgin
offers so I ended up running all of my pidgin IRC through ZNC to give me
the flexibility that pidgin lacks.

It's not necessarily elegant, but since I don't have the coding skills
to whip up what I want as a pidgin plugin, this solved the immediate
problem.