Pidgin 2.8.x Dependencies

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Fri Jun 10 21:44:33 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Michael R. McCarrey <wa7qzr at gmail.com> wrote:
> As this results in users of Pidgin 2.7.11 with  glib-1.2.10-28

I think you actually want to look at "rpm -q glib2," not "rpm -q glib."

> (In my case, Fedora 8)  being nagged to death to upgrade, is there any
> chance of a 2.7.11a version that will permit disabling the "new version"
> check or;

Nope!  Sorry for the inconvenience.  Our general feeling is that, if
the packager no longer supports the distro then why should we?  (In
your case I think Fedora 8 stopped being supported around January
2009?  IMO it's dangerous to continue using a distribution that
doesn't have active security updates--I recommend upgrading.)

> Where might I hack my source to accomplish the same thing?

You're always welcome to download the Pidgin/libpurple source and try
your hand at it.
http://pidgin.im/download/source/

--Mark