MSN protocol -- several bugs

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Tue Jun 21 13:29:46 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 09:34:45PM -0300, Luís Felipe wrote:
> I use Pidgin since it was Gaim.
> What I have noticed in the last 12 months is that several features which
> once worked on MSN protocol (like file transfer, personalized emoticons and
> profile photo) DON'T WORK ANY MORE!!
>
> What happened?
> Was the SVN database lost, so the programmers lost what they had previously
> written (and was working)?

The MSN support was updated to a newer version of the protocol to gain
access to certain features that were being requested. This update however
has had the side effect of breaking other things (which I believe wasn't
immediately noticed).

Fixing support for the newer protocol has been slow for all the normal
reasons. Available time and interest among the people able to work on it.
Anyone bothered by the current (and continuing) lack of fixes for these
issues is welcome to work on fixing them. Patches will be gladly accepted.

    -Etan