issues: facebook plugin

Kevin Stange kstange at pidgin.im
Sun Mar 6 14:59:33 EST 2011

On 03/06/2011 01:37 PM, Jeffrey Steben wrote:
> Dear Pidgin Support,
>
> I'm not sure if you know how to solve my problem because it's with a
> third party plugin but I figured I would email you guys and ask anyways.
> I have been using the facebook plugin for the linux version of pidgin
> for a while and I love that pidgin can do everything that AIM did on my
> windows machine but better. My only issue is now when I use pidgin and
> try to instant message a facebook friend it comes up with an error
> within the chat window that says, "you are not permitted to do that" and
> will not let me message them.

It sounds like a lot of people are having this problem now, but we do
not know the cause.  We do not offer support for this plugin.  You
should seek support at the official plugin web site if you would like to
continue to use it.

However, Pidgin provides support for Facebook chat using the XMPP
protocol, so we recommend using this method instead of the third-party
plugin.  If you experience issues with that method, we can provide
support here.

Kevin