Uninformative message for XMMP login failure

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Sun Mar 6 17:50:52 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 02:00:15PM +0100, David Balažic wrote:
> my_nick at jabber.org/Home disconnected
> Invalid authzid
>
> This is what pidgin printed when I tried to login to my XMPP account.
>
> It turnes out, the account has expired.
>
> The message is very uninformative. First I suspected server problems
> (see the gtalk DNS SRV problem discussed here recently).

That is the error type the server returned. The server may also have
returned more informative information that pidgin ignored (we do that
sometimes) but if it didn't then we can't have given a more informative
error message.

> Issue 2: When I dismiss the error message by clicking X, the account is
> still marked as active by Pidgin. Should it be inactive?
> If I unckeck it in the Account window, nothing happens. If I recheck it,
> it tries to login again. Looks like it was diabled, only the GUI was
> showing bad.

Enabled does not mean online. Enabled means that the global status will
affect that account.

Nothing will happen to an account that is already offline if it is
disabled. An online account will be disconnected though. When you enable
an account pidgin attempts to apply the global status to that account
(thus signing it back on in this case). It is likely that if you had
waited pidgin would have attempted to reconnect the account on its own
(whether it should have remained enabled so that this is true is a
different question).

> Issue 3: selecting the login error message with the mouse, then pressing
> ctrl-c pops up the Join cgat dialog instead of copying the text, like 99%
> of the ofther software in the world.

ctrl-c is bound to a menu item in the Buddies menu. If you removed that
binding ctrl-c might (depending on other configuration) have copied the
text as you expected it to.

> Using Pidgin 2.7.9 on Windows XP Pro SP3.
>
> Regards,
> David Balažic

Sorry for responding to this so late. I have been woefully behind on my
email for ages.

    -Etan