Can't connect to Pidgin with satellite connection

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Mon May 9 03:42:07 EDT 2011

pipermoo at earthlink.net wrote:

> Ever since installing HughesNet satellite Internet a week ago, I have
> been unable to connect to Pidgin.  Each time I try, I get the following

You can't connect to Pidgin; it is a client.

> message:
> Connection error from Notification server:
> Connection refused.

Which service is this.  (This may be possible to guess from the error
message.  Looks like it is MSN, also branded as Windows Live.)

> I know that my password is correct.  I called HughesNet tech support and
> was told that there shouldn't be a problem connecting to any IMs.
>
> I would very much appreciate any ideas to overcome this problem.

Some possibilities:

HughesNet don't understand their system.
The unamed service, for some reason, is not prepared to accept HughesNet
users.
The HughesNet system has DNS problems tht are forcing a fallback
connection strategy.
Etc.

The Pidgin debug log may give some clues, but the easiest solution is to
fall back to the working ISP.

Normally the Pidgin version, and the nature of the OS, would be
important, but, in this case, the problem correlates with a known change.

--
David Woolley