Concerning international text messaging

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Wed May 11 23:35:39 EDT 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 01:09:41PM -0800, Ryan Bacon wrote:
> Dear brilliant minds of pidgin,
>
> I have recently come back into contact with a old good friend who is in
> Germany and it is a bit difficult with us communicating only by emails.  She
> doesn't really have the option to use a chat program and I was wondering if
> any protocol allowed in pidgin supports international text messaging.  I
> would go to the IRC channel but I haven't used my IRC account in nearly 2
> years and can't remember any of the info.
>
> Help on this would be amazing.
>
> - Ryan

IRC doesn't really do "accounts" so not remembering what nickname you used
two years ago doesn't really matter. Just pick a new one and connect.

That being said I don't know any services that do text messaging other
than those covered in the FAQ (and those are US only last I knew). I
believe there are some XMPP services which bridge to text messaging but
you can search Google for them as well as I can at this point.

    -Etan