question

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Sun May 15 16:44:00 EDT 2011

On Sun, 15 May 2011 14:33:17 -0600
"Diane McLaughlin" <diane at willowtreechd.com> wrote:

> Well, I didn't really understand the email I got when I tried to subscribe
> -- it seemed rather complicated.

Ah, I see, if you're not used to mailing lists it can be a bit
confusing. Essentially you need to confirm that you want to be
subscribed, that's done by sending an email to the address you provide
and are assumed to have control of. You need to follow the
instructions, often as simple as clicking a link in the email.

> Not sure what service I am using???? How do I know this?

Well, Pidgin is a multi-protocol client, so it can use the AOL Instant
Messaging service, or Microsoft Messenger (MSN), it depends which
accounts you have set up. I think you would know which service you are
using, it will tell you in the Accounts dialogue that opens with ctrl-A.

> Version: Pidgin 2.7.4 (libpurple 2.7.4)
> Operating System: Windows7

That tells me enough to know you need to upgrade to the latest version,
which is 2.7.11. This can be done by downloading it from the Pidgin
site front page at http://pidgin.im and then once you have closed the
current version run the installer and follow the prompts. Note that if
you want localisation and spell-checking you can select this in the
check boxes during the installation, it's also worth installing the
debug symbols as it helps if you suffer any crashes as you can report
the detailed information needed to identify the problem without needing
to know anything about debugging at all.

Once you have done this, see if the error you are suffering still
occurs, if it does, come and ask again on the mailing list. We prefer
to deal with it there as the details are archived so they can be
searched and then we avoid some repeat questions.

Hope this helps a bit, I realise you may find all this a bit confusing.

I assume you realise that Pidgin support is done by volunteers in their
own time, and that Pidgin is a free software project? I will try to
help you out, but it's getting late where I am so I won't be around for
much longer. I have copied this to the list so that people see what's
been said.

--

Brian Morrison

                                                          Oscar Wilde