AIM sending chat requests to Google Talk chats

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Mon May 16 11:47:31 EDT 2011

Google and AOL have indeed worked out some interoperation agreement and
that is the root of what you are seeing.

This interoperation is too new for anyone to really have a good handle on
and certainly too new for us to fully understand how it is supposed to
work and the ways in which it fails to work.

Attempting to IM someone at gmail.com for the first time from an aim account
appears to work correctly for some people (including myself in a quick
test). That is the very first message fails, the Google Talk user gets a
subscription request, and then things work normally after that.

The reverse appears to work similarly (with the first AIM->Google Talk
message still failing, at least with pidgin I imagine the Google Talk/web
client may work around that).

Someone in the #pidgin irc channel was complaining about similar floods of
authorization requests the other day but I don't think that was ever
resolved.

Do you have your Google Talk email address registered as an AIM screen
name? Do the people with whom you are having this problem have that?

    -Etan