Configuration Pidgin for LAN

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Mon May 30 05:07:32 EDT 2011

Fortune Investment wrote:
> */I am using 7 PC in my small office. All seven PCs are connected via
> router with each other using LAN (Without any server)/*
> */How do i configure Pidgin on all PC for this LAN Connection?/*

Is there a hidden condition in this question?  Are you saying how do you
configure Pidgin to provide instant messaging locally, but without using
any other server or service?

Pidgin is basically a client, and needs a server.  Most people running
private IM services use XMPP based servers.  You will either have to
nominate one of the user PCs to run the server, or you will need a
dedicated machine.  I can't imagine that you need a very powerful
machine.  My guess is that a 20 year old desktop will have enough CPU
power, although you may need to upgrade to 10 year old for memory, as
most may be designed for a bloated environment.

I can't rule out the possibility of a Pidgin plugin that operates as a
fully distributed IM service implementation, but I can say it must be
pretty uncommon to use it.

If you just want to use a public service (NB at least some do not allow
business use) then the question has to be which service and what
firewalling and NAT is being done by the router.

--
David Woolley