Broadcast feature

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Thu Nov 3 12:05:23 EDT 2011

Dick Day spake unto us the following wisdom:
> We are a small county government and use OpenFire with Pidgin clients.
>
> We need a way to sent a very short broadcast at a specific time of the
> day reminding user to exit a specific application.
>
> Is this doable with Pidgin?

You should be able to set up a broadcast group within OpenFire.  You
can then send a message to the JID of that group from any XMPP client,
including Pidgin, and it will be forwarded to all of the members of
the group.  You can automate sending messages with Pidgin via D-Bus,
or via the command-line purple-send or purple-remote commands on a
Unix system.  (I don't know if there's an equivalent on Windows or
not.)

Ethan