finch - can't irc, accompanied by "irc: unrecognized message:" messages

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Mon Nov 7 09:45:58 EST 2011

Steve Champagne spake unto us the following wisdom:
> This morning finch stopped showing any IRC server window when
> starting. Normally I see a server window, from which I can "/join"
> channels. Looking in the "Debug window" I noticed a lot of this:

There's no such thing as a "server window" in finch/pidgin.  I assume
some network bot was messaging you at login (for example, as NickServ
does on Freenode if you're using a registered nickname).

> ===
> 07:44:52 irc: Unrecognized message: :irc_server.com 003 my_id :This server was created Mar  7 2007 at 17:36:19
[snip]

> Apparently finch is no longer liking messages from this server. The
> only thing I recall changing recently was the linux kernel on my
> machine (last night).

These messages are normal.

If you want to open a query or channel and you don't have an IRC
window open, use the menu in the buddy list (C-o) and select "Send
IM..." or "Join Chat...".

Ethan