Reset user login/password

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Thu Nov 17 15:22:07 EST 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 01:56:17PM -0600, Nathalie  Allen wrote:
> Thanks for your response. I'm confused though; you can't reset the pidgin password through pidgin? I believe it's setup along w/AOL, so would we need to contact them?

There is no such thing as a "pidgin password". pidgin is an IM client it
uses the passwords you give it to connect you to external IM services (the
same way an email client like Outlook or Thunderbird connects you to your
email system).

Some services allow changing passwords via the client (and pidgin supports
that on some of them) but that's once you have already connected (i.e.
changing an in-use password).

pidgin also, when told to, stores passwords in the accounts.xml file so it
can log in to your accounts without asking you for the password every time
(stored in plain text so if pidgin has it stored, which I imagine it
doesn't, it can be recovered from there).

So, yes, if this is an AIM account then AOL will be the ones who will have
the tools/system necessary to reset a forgotten password (if anyone does).

    -Etan