XMPP, Server does not use any supported authentication method

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Thu Sep 1 14:56:41 EDT 2011

Alexander Ustinov spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > The server is offering SASL PLAIN, which we should support.  Make sure
> > that the libsasl2-modules package is installed.
>
> It is installed... Possibly distribution-related issue?

I'm not sure ... do you have a libplain.so.* file in libsasl2-modules?
(dpkg -L libsasl2-modules | grep plain)

If so, then I don't know why this is failing, someone who knows more
about XMPP than I will have to look at it.  We support SASL PLAIN
internally, and if we're built against Cyrus SASL then libplain should
provide it there.  I don't see why your Pidgin wouldn't find an auth
method in that case.

Ethan