plain txt passwords in .purple folder

Kevin Stange kstange at pidgin.im
Wed Sep 28 11:19:29 EDT 2011

On 09/28/2011 07:24 AM, Rob Dunn wrote:
> Here's my tip - don't store your password in Pidgin, just have it prompt you every time.  But, not everyone will follow this rule (knowing users).
>
> As an aside, it would be nice if there was a plugin developed for pidgin that would disallow password storage...or is there something that can be done to facilitate an 'always prompt' action?

As per that Wiki document, Pidgin defaults to not storing passwords.
You have to manually check the box to cause it to happen.

There is a branch on MTN which enables pidgin to use one of a couple
existing keyring systems to store passwords.  If this branch receives
help to make it stable, then it can be merged.

I would strongly encourage anyone interested to look into the state of
that branch and submit patches to finish it.

Kevin