Captcha Error

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Thu Apr 19 23:13:00 EDT 2012

John Doe spake unto us the following wisdom:
> It seems to be a problem with the captcha requiring JavaScript and
> from an external Google (tracking / analytics) server.  I am using a
> Mozilla brower (Seamonkey): Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:11.0)
> Gecko/20120312 Firefox/11.0 SeaMonkey/2.8.  Can you use regular
> captcha code (most do not require javascript and are on the same
> server as the webserver)?

"Most" are *not* on the same server as the web server; if anything,
"most" are recaptcha.  The very poor, ineffective forum captchas I see
floating around may be served from the same host, but many captchas
(recaptcha or otherwise) are services, and as such require loading
images from third party hosts.  That whole line of argument is bogus.

The JavaScript question I have more sympathy for; unfortunately, we're
using a Trac captcha plugin, and I don't think it has a broad set of
configuration options.  If it's the captcha requiring JavaScript,
that's probably just the end of it.  You mention analytics stuff,
though; I'm not sure if that's related to the captcha, or you're just
saying analytics are a problem for your browser.  There are unrelated
analytics scripts on the page, if they fail, that won't affect the
captcha.

Ethan