Whatsapp via Pidgin

Dave Warren lists at hireahit.com
Thu Aug 2 17:48:48 EDT 2012

On 8/2/2012 2:38 PM, Ori wrote:
> On 08/03/2012 12:30 AM, Dave Warren wrote:
>> On 8/2/2012 10:48 AM, Ori wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> There's a way to communicate with WhatsApp accounts using Pidgin?
>>
>> It looks like they're using a hacked up XMPP. It might be possible to
>> obtain or reverse engineer your password, but it's not supported or
>> documented.
>>
>> I'd probably contact WhatsApp and let them know of the desire for
>> such functionality.
>>
> That's not what I meant. What about a way to contact from my jabber
> account to an whatsapp account?

MY point is that they don't seem to want external access due to the fact
that they don't expose username/passwords to users directly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WhatsApp#Technical_specifics has some
information about how the username/password are generated, you could try
to figure out yours and connect, but it may or may not work since they
have likely extended the XMPP spec slightly for their own use.

Getting WhatsApp to officially allow access would be great, and might
actually encourage me to use their service again in the future.

(Also, please include the mailing list in replies?)

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/