Need "strong" notification of new messages

Mike Van Pelt mvp at calweb.com
Tue Feb 7 13:10:49 EST 2012

I've been using Pidgin for a while, and I think it's the best IM client out
there, but there's one feature I really need:  Un-missable notification of
new messages in a chat window -- "Get my attention, NOW!"

Ideally, bring the conversation window to the front, or pop up a (large)
notification that never goes away until it is manually dismissed.

Is there any way to do this?  This is becoming a critical issue for me.

I already have the "Message Notification" plugin enabled, with "Raise
conversation window" and "Present conversation window" checked.  It doesn't
do what those words seem to say.  I also have "New messages" checked on the
"Libnotify popups" plugin.

This is on Ubuntu "Oneric" with the Unity window manager, Pidgin 2.10.0.

We use XMPP/Jabber at work, and I have a groupchat window open at all
times, for communication with other members of the team scattered around
the country.  But as I'm working on various things, that window sinks to
the bottom of the stack, and important communications get ignored for far
too long.

Audible notifications aren't an option. "No Noisy PCs" is the rule in the
office, enforced by IT supplying PCs with all audio capability carefully
removed.