Pigdin.im |AdIQuity Mobile Ads: Proposal

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Wed Jul 4 17:01:50 EDT 2012

auto59872302 spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > I already put this guy in the spam filters, he won't be making it
> > through again.  There's no need, in general, to reply to the list to
> > "deal with" spam.  If you notice a high level of leakage, let a Pidgin
> > developer know so we can deal with it --- but note that almost all of
> > the "list" spam I get doesn't actually pass through lists on its way
> > to my inbox.  I believe spammers put list addresses in the To/Cc, but
> > send the mail directly, to try to defeat spam filters.  You can
> > determine if a spam actually passed through the list (as this one did)
> > by consulting the headers.
>
> Ethan, sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused you. That was far
> from my intentions, I assure you. I will follow your advice about
> handing them in the future. But I have a question about one point in
> your instructions. So that I can recognize it better, would you explain
> this differently:

It's not an inconvenience to me, specifically, it's just added noise
on the list.  You're far from the first to do it, which is why I made
a list announcement about it.

> > "... all of
> > the "list" spam I get doesn't actually pass through lists on its way
> > to my inbox.  I believe spammers put list addresses in the To/Cc, but
> > send the mail directly, to try to defeat spam filters..."
>
> I am not following your meaning there. Thanks.

I'm simply saying that, before someone starts sending me (or another
Pidgin developer) email saying "I got spam off the Pidgin support
list!", it's good to verify that that's actually what happened.  The