Persistent "waiting for network connection" and buddy lists don't load on open

Dennis Carr dennisthetiger at chez-vrolet.net
Sat Mar 3 21:59:03 EST 2012

Running Pidgin 2.7.3 in Debian Stable, installed from the repositories.

Two things seem to be happening in the client.

One, whenever I open the client when I log in, none of the lists load.
This is remedied by opening the account management window, and
disabling and re-enabling each protocol.

The second thing that happens is the "Waiting for network connection"
bit remains in the status pulldown toward the bottom of the window.

For tourist information, I have configured a Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, AIM, and
two XMPP connections (one for Livejournal, one for Gmail).

How can I fix this?

-Dennis Carr