Is it possible to use Pidgin XMPP as Apple iMessage client?

Dave Warren lists at hireahit.com
Fri Mar 9 15:43:23 EST 2012

On 3/9/2012 12:20 PM, Aaron Samuels wrote:

> Hello Pidgin support list members,
>
> I read that Apple iMessage is based on XMPP, and they have just
> released a client for the MAC OS.
>
> I'm wondering if there is a possibility, given the correct connection
> strings and addresses, if Pidgin XMPP client could be used as an Apple
> iMessage client or if there is something in their implementation that
> would prevent it? This would open of Apple iMessage on the PC and
> other platforms.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMessage

If Apple's XMPP servers are open and don't require specific
authentication or custom certificates or similar then it should be
fairly trivial. What do you think the odds are that Apple is doing
something open and interoperable?

Apple did promise to open up Facetime some moons ago and hasn't done
yet, so I wouldn't hold your breath until/unless some documentation
shows up. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it, but I'd be surprised
if it happens.

The lack of SRV records on _xmpp-client._tcp.me.com pretty much say it
all, for now, at least as far as I'm concerned.

--
Dave Warren, CEO
Hire A Hit Consulting Services