Lost messages with MSN

Dave Warren lists at hireahit.com
Wed Mar 14 13:55:21 EDT 2012

On 3/14/2012 7:16 AM, Michael Secord wrote:
> I've noticed an issue where I'm not receiving all messages that are
> being sent to me through MSN. I fired up the official client (LM) and
> ran it alongside pidgin yesterday with the same account and watched
> messages come in via LM but not in Pidgin with the debug window not
> showing anything odd. I was able to capture a few minutes of net
> traffic with Wireshark while this was happening.
>
> I've noticed that it doesn't matter if the person sending the messages
> is using the official client or Pidgin, as the issue happens with
> both. I only miss the messages if I'm using Pidgin, the official
> client will catch everything.
>
> Anyone have any ideas or anything else I should try to capture, etc to
> help determine the cause of this?

Any idea if you had multiple clients connected when the problem was
first observed?

I haven't been able to figure out the pattern, but if I leave my iPhone
and iPad (or multiple pidgin installations) connected to my MSN account,
messages semi-randomly start going to the inactive client despite the
fact that I haven't used it for hours or days.

New messages tend to go to all connected clients, which is a good thing,
but in the middle of a conversation I'll feel like the person I'm
talking to is ignoring a question and later discover that they did
answer and it wasn't delivered to pidgin.

I've never tested to see if the official client behaves differently,
I've always just assumed it's a quirk with how MSN determines the
message destination since it happens to pidgin, Beejive and IM+.

--
Dave Warren, CEO
Hire A Hit Consulting Services