Pidgin in Corporate Environment

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Wed May 23 09:17:08 EDT 2012

Hi Ahmed,

On Wed, 23 May 2012 08:11:51 -0400
Ahmed Rambarran <arambarran at elliottmgmt.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a way to create a custom pidgin package that includes IM communication for AOL, Yahoo, & MSN only where all the mentioned IM channels get routed to an internal server? We are currently logging IM conversations but users who have Pidgin installed on their machine seem to bypass this feature. Please let me know if anyone has done this before.

Pidgin is free-and-open-source-software (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open_source_software ), so you can download the source and modify it to suit your needs. You are free to modify the sources for in-house use, but if you wish to distribute it to other people or organisations, you have to comply by the GPL or LGPL - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License ;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Lesser_General_Public_License (which probably means releasing your modifications
under a compatible licence).

Note that a policy such as the one you describe ought to be enforced by the
corporate firewall, to avoid cases of users circumventing it so easily.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish