Error message

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Fri May 25 19:15:33 EDT 2012

Veronica Bark wrote:
>   Hi Pidgin support team,

There isn't a Pidgin support team; this is a peer support mailing list.

> I receive only this error message: /Error requesting
> https://api.screenname.aol.com/auth/clientLogin: Unable to connect to
> api.screenname.aol.com: SSL Connection Fai./

As a lot of questions on this list are from Oracle employees having
problems accessing Oracle's internal , XMPP based, instant messaging
system, could you first confirm that you are really intending to access
AOL's AIM service for personal use?  (Questions about the Oracle system
should be directed to Oracle's IT people.)

My first guess would be that the office firewall doesn't permit access
to AIM.  However:

Are you able to access AIM using AOL's official AIM client, from the
same machine?

Are you using Pidgin 2.10.4?

What messages appear in the debug window?

Which OS are you using?

Are you connecting to the internet:

- from a home broadband connection;
- from a mobile phone (many mobile companies block instant messaging);
- from a machine on the company network (many companies block instant
messaging for security or time wasting reasons).