pidgin 2.10.3 pci wifi

Tres Finocchiaro tres.finocchiaro at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 00:41:57 EDT 2012

Ethan,

First please set up a test scenario that is consistent across all scenarios.

Your eagerness to get this resolved means to me you actually care about why its not working and that is a step in the right direction.

For starters, use the same cell number for all of your tests.  I would recommend creating a Google voice number.  This way you can expose the phone number to the mailing list or other testers without fear of sharing your personal cell number.

Second, make sure your test scenarios are all vanilla.  By that I mean a fresh install of Pidgin with no extra accounts or plugins.  A live Linux CD (I would recommend ububtu) can have pidgin installed easily so this is a good baseline vanilla install that doesn't require a dedicated hard drive.  Then you can try wireless and wired and various hardware without much fuss. (Keep reading though because you may be over thinking this)

Although Ethan is correct (this is likely not a Pidgin issue) you may have better luck isolating the cause through tests described above.

Two more things....

If you are in the US, remember there is flooding on the east coast causing communication problems and bandwidth problem in the most unpredictable sorts of ways.

Lastly, SMS messaging has some drawbacks where messages never get delivered.  Make sure to do some research on this too, as it might be a symptom of the protocol rather than the client.

I for one have come up with many conspiracies when I can't figure out why something doesn't work.  Take my experience as advice and create test scenarios that are conclusive.  They will bring sanity to all parties in the end.

-Tres