messages sometimes are incoming twice

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Tue Oct 23 09:05:38 EDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 03:19:34PM +0200, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sometimes, esp. while chatting with contacts in Latin America, I see
> messages incoming twice, like this example ("Dali" is the remote buddy):
<snip>
> What is causing this? The contact goes via Yahoo and my Pidgin is 2.10.0
> on FreeBSD 10-current.

This is likely Yahoo's doing. They had, last I knew at least, a hard-coded
7-second resend timer on messages if they do not hear back from the
recipient's client that they were received. So for conversations taking
place over poorer network connections that timer will likely trigger more
often than expected.

It is always possible that this is pidgin's fault but I doubt it.

    -Etan