Pidgin Refresh

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sat Oct 27 10:44:54 EDT 2012

Shlomi Fish wrote:

> Skype is proprietary and 32-bit only and is now owned by Microsoft (so its
> future on Linux is uncertain). Emesene and Empathy are open-source as well, and

They are also single service clients.

>> It should use GTK3 and even follow a completely new design
>> concept.
>
> I suppose one can port Pidgin to Gtk+ 3. It does not mean it should run only on
> Linux though, because Gtk+ 3 is available on Windows and Mac OS X.

One of the biggest problems I find with the Linux world is that everyone
keeps using the latest libraries.  That means every time I build from
source, I seem to have to track down, build, and install half a dozen
new libraries before I can build the primary package, if I'm not to have
to do a complete install of the latest generation of the OS
distribution.  Unless a library offers a fundamental advantage, one
should stick with the tried and trusted ones.

--
David Woolley