SSL

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Mon Sep 17 02:37:00 EDT 2012

> On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 5:40 PM,  <england1966 at tormail.org> wrote:
>> Is there a way to connect with SSL with ICQ in pidgin?

In newer versions of Pidgin, edit the account, on the "Advanced" tab
leave all settings set to the default values except change "Connection
security" to "Require encryption."  In this case Pidgin will bail out
upon login if it isn't able to establish an SSL/TLS connection for
something.

In older versions of Pidgin, if "clientLogin" is turned on then
authentication will always happen over SSL/TLS.  I don't remember the
specifics about whether IM and buddy list traffic will be encrypted...
I think it depends on the version of Pidgin you're using.  Newer
versions tend to request encryption for IM/buddy list when available,
but I think they're still willing to connect even if the server
doesn't allow an SSL/TLS connection.