facebook mobile contacts

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Sun Apr 7 16:34:29 EDT 2013

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 2:27 AM, Michael Mägel <maegelmichael at gmx.de> wrote:
> hi guys, is it posible to see facebook users which are online with mobile
> phone? cause they are shown as offline.

(copied from my reply at
https://www.facebook.com/pidgin.im/posts/10152683696525411)

Assuming you're using XMPP to connect to Facebook, Pidgin doesn't
control which contacts appear online/offline. This information is
given to Pidgin by Facebook, so you would need to bring this up with
Facebook.

> and is it possible to load the past conversation if i write a facebook user
> in pidgin?

You can kind of get this functionality by enabling conversation
logging and loading the "History" plugin.  It will only show
conversations that have taken place in Pidgin, though.  I don't think
we interact with Facebook's unified message system in any way.  We
certainly don't do anything Facebook specific.  I suppose it's
possible there is an XMPP XEP that covers this functionality, but if
so, I don't think Pidgin nor Facebook's XMPP servers support it.