Permission to use the icon

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Thu Apr 11 18:24:02 EDT 2013

Mark Doliner wrote:

> that isn't the case, though.  He seems like he may have recreated the
> images based on our originals.  I don't know whether this would be
> considered a derivative work.

I would be very surprised if this were not a copyright infringement.
I'm not sure about US law, but it might come under the designs section
of UK law, as well as being a derivative of the bitmap.

However, it is unlikely that anything will get done unless you add a
copyvio tag to it to bring it to the attention of people who could
override the author.

Questionable use of logos is very common on Wikipedia.  Normally, if
challenged, people would try and claim US law fair usage, but I believe
that would only be valid in the context of an article, not for a
standalone image, and I'd also doubt one would get away with using it
for vector image, when the original is bitmap.

As I understand it, fair use doesn't remove the original copyright and
ownership.

--
David Woolley