pidgin and VPN issues.

Richard Allen ra at ra.is
Tue Apr 16 09:32:44 EDT 2013

Hello all,

I'm using pidgin on Fedora 18 (This was also an issue in 17).    My work requires me to fire up multiple VPN profiles each day.  Normally this is fine.  However when disengaging the VPN pidgin tends to lock up.  This happens both with Cisco compatible (vpnc) profiles and also Anyconnect profiles.    I use network manager for all VPN needs.

When pidgin is frozen, there is no indication in the GUI (i.e. I dont notice anything) and pidgin is unkillable.   I have to use kill -9 to stop it.

Is this a known issue or are there any workarounds?

Thanks in advance.

--
Rikki