help regarding my gtalk on pidgin

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Fri Aug 23 16:06:21 EDT 2013

On 2013-08-23 02:40, David Woolley wrote:
> As I remember it, their T&Cs say that they will use various heuristics
> to detect possible misuse, and country hopping is one of the factors
> they will use.  The heuristics may well attempt to avoid false
> positives from people who commonly do appear to be in two places at once.

I can definitely confirm that this happens to me whenever I travel.

I live in Canada, when BeeJive moves their IM proxies or my mail server
moves to a new IP, Google throws me warnings about my account possibly
being compromised due to being accessed from different geographic
regions. Once I confirm that it's me, their algorthims learn.

A similar thing happens when I travel, I was fine accessing my account
from the UK and a few different cities in Germany, but when I was
accessing my machine at home over a VPN and I tried to access my
Calendar, Google again locked me out until I confirmed that all of the
connections were legitimate -- In other words, travel was fine, but both
traveling and accessing from home was suspicious.

It's been a couple trips since I've had more than a request to
re-authenticate, so I suspect their algorthims have figured out that I
travel and where I travel and that my normal access continues.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/