re-enabling? Feature request

Dave Warren lists at hireahit.com
Wed Feb 27 19:57:49 EST 2013

On 2/27/2013 07:44, William Morris wrote:
> I use Pidgin both at home and at the office. When I log on after being
> on at either place, I have to re-enable the account. Stupid, really,
> just a single click, but bothersome all the same. I would really love
> it if Pidgin would just connect and move on - Yahoo! Messenger does
> this, and it's really the only feature I miss.

Assuming that Yahoo doesn't allow multiple clients to connect at once,
what would you expect to happen when you leave pidgin connected at the
office and then login at home?

I'd guess that what would happen would be this: Your pidgin at home
would connect, and it would disconnect you at your office. Next, your
pidgin at the office would connect, and it would disconnect you at home.
Your pidgin at home would connect, and it would disconnect you at your
office. Next, your pidgin at the office would connect, and it would
disconnect you at home. Your pidgin at home would connect, and it would
disconnect you at your office. Next, your pidgin at the office would
connect, and it would disconnect you at home. Your pidgin at home would
connect, and it would disconnect you at your office. Next, your pidgin
at the office would connect, and it would disconnect you at home. Your
pidgin at home would connect, and it would disconnect you at your
office. Next, your pidgin at the office would connect, and it would
disconnect you at home. Your pidgin at home would connect, and it would
disconnect you at your office. Next, your pidgin at the office would
connect, and it would disconnect you at home.

Then Yahoo would disable your entire account for abuse, and you'd be
back here, wondering why that happened.

Am I missing something about how your change would work?

Speaking as a user, I'd rather you learn to log off so that if I try to
IM you a few minutes before you get into the office, I know that you're
not online, rather than wondering why you aren't responding to my IM for
hours. But that's just me.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/