audio and video grayed out

John Thissen jthissen at pipeline.com
Sun Jan 6 08:59:57 EST 2013

I'm trying to use pidgin 2.10.6 as a client for GTalk video chat. I'm on
Suse 11.4, and I have built pidgin from source. It was built with audio
and video support. When I go to "Conversation->Media", all of the audio
and video options are grayed out. When i try to call the computer from
my android phone, the phone attempts to initiate a video call, but the
computer does not ring and eventually the phone says that the computer
did not answer. Text chat between the phone and computer works fine.
What should I be looking at to diagnose the problem? Thanks!