Pidgin MSN certificate chain broken

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Fri Jan 18 11:53:42 EST 2013

Jeronimo de A. Barros wrote:
> Hi...
>
>     Today my pidgin is refusing to connect to MSN and returns this error:
>
> "Unable to validate certificate
>
> The certificate for local-blu-people.directory.live.com could not be
> validated. The certificate chain presented is invalid."

It would appear that Pidgin is distributing an intermediate certificate
for Microsoft Internet Authority than expired in 2011.

This affects all Windows users.  Whether it affects users of other
operating systems depends on whether:

1) they provide a central store of certificate authority certificates;
2) Pidgin has been built to use that store.

As most of this is on another thread, you should subscribe to the
support list, or follow it on the archives, for further details.

	<mailto:support-request at pidgin.im?subject=subscribe>

If subscribing, remember to take a note of how to unsubscribe!

--
David Woolley