Permission to use the icon

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Thu Jan 24 12:13:06 EST 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 8:13 AM, Evgeny <knockdowncore at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to ask for permission to copy the 'Pidgin' icon
> (pidgin-2.10.6/pidgin-2.10.6/pidgin/pixmaps/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/pidgin.png)
> to Npackd web server and use it for 'Pidgin' package identifying icon.

Short answer: This should be fine--go for it.

Longer answer: Most of our files, including that icon, are licensed
under the GPL.  So please try to adhere to the terms of the GPL (for
the purposes of the license, pidgin.png is both the source and
compiled work).  Also I guess we possess the trademark for things that
make up the Pidgin brand.  We might object if you wanted to use that
icon on something not related to Pidgin (like an ice chest), but it's
totally fine for you to use it to represent something Pidgin-y.  Go
for it.