Cannot connect to some XMPP Services from all Users on One system

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Tue Jul 23 09:52:08 EDT 2013

Hi all,

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 00:17:51 +0300
Shlomi Fish <shlomif at shlomifish.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On one of my Mageia Linux Cauldron systems (What will become Mageia Linux 4
> eventually), I have a problem that Pidgin refuses to connect to either my
> ShlomiFish at jabber.org account or to my facebook.com account. However, it is
> fine with a Pidgin in the same machine inside a VM, and it's fine on a
> different machine also running Mageia Linux Cauldron.
>
> Moreover, the problem persists on the offending machine even for a brand new
> UNIX user account, so it appears to be something global. My machines are
> x86-64 ones. I can also connect to @gmail.com XMPP addresses and to those of
> AIM, ICQ and MSN.

As I discovered:

1. It does not happen on my laptop which has a similar configuration (Mageia
Linux x86-64).

2. It does not happen with a Pidgin installation that I built and installed
from source under my home directory.

Right now I'm using the pidgin installed under my home dir.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish