mac-to-pc chats

Daniel Atallah datallah at pidgin.im
Mon Jun 17 17:49:36 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Kevin Justie <kjustie at webrary.org> wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Tweaking the firewall worked -- thanks! -- but only as long as the PC was using DHCP.  That's how it was set up (by somebody else), but I prefer to have static IPs for staff computers, and when I changed it to a static IP, the initial chat messages from Macs were again ignored/not received.  Computers are all on the same network:  Macs are 172.16.3.x, DHCP gave the PC a 172.16.4.x number, and I changed it to a 172.16.7.x number.  Why would an IP change like this affect those Mac-initiated messages, if the firewall is no longer blocking them?
>
> kevin

Please reply to the support mailing list, not to me directly.

I'm pretty sure that the Dynamic vs Static IP address assignment is
something of a red herring (as is the Mac vs. PC part of the
situation).

My guess is that there's some sort of routing or network restriction
that's preventing connectivity between the machines.  It's hard to
guess what's going on in your network that would specifically be
problematic - I'd make sure that the IP ranges are on the same subnet
(Bonjour relies on this to be the case).

-D