mac-to-pc chats

Kevin Justie kjustie at webrary.org
Tue Jun 18 12:26:28 EDT 2013

Adding Pidgin to the PC client's firewall helped -- part way.  It turns out, though, that it only enabled initial chats to be received from Macs running iChat, meaning OS X 10.7 or earlier.  Macs on 10.8 (Mountain Lion), in which iChat is now Messages (which is more than just the same app with a new name) initial messages are still not received *unless* there has been a previous conversation between the PC and that Mac within the current Pidgin session.  Once there's been such a conversation, even if the conversation window is closed, future conversations *can* be initiated by the Mac.  But if Pidgin is closed and then reopened (the app, not the windows), the Mac can again not initiate a conversation.

Suggestions?

kevin