router problem

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Thu Nov 7 17:12:23 EST 2013

On 07/11/13 21:22, Art Sulenski wrote:

> There is a firewall on my new router, what do I do to set up either the

There is a firewall on most routers and certainly all likely to be used
by home users, and that isn't new.

> router or Pidgin to use the messenger. My buddy list pops up but no one

What do you mean by the messenger?  The answer will depend on exactly
which service you are trying to use.

However, for a consumer grade router, the initial assumption would be
that you wouldn't have to do anything as running IM clients is something
that consumers expect to be able to do out of the box.  Did you buy this
retail, or did you get it from your ISP.  An ISP might lock it down for
commercial reasons.

Routers used by business are much more likely to lock out IM clients.