SSL security concern

Ralf Skyper Kaiser skyper at thc.org
Mon Oct 14 11:12:25 EDT 2013

HI Ethan,

thanks for your comments. I've summarized some SSL/TLS Security concerns:

https://thc.org/ssl

and also created a video for those who are non-technical:

http://youtu.be/F3BMA3IuvYs

I made a list of features under section 6.4 that would make pidgin secure.
In summary:

For Jitsi/Pidgin/Jabber this would mean:

   1. Do not allow non-private chats
   2. Do not allow clear-text (non-SSL) connections
   3. Accept self-signed certificates but once accepted/stored do not allow
   certificate to change (even if new certificate is a Verisign signed
   certificate).
   4. Feature to select CAfile storage location
   5. Force client to disable logging
   6. Inform server that user is using lockdown (so that server can reject
   all clients which do not).
   7. Once lockdown option is enabled the user should not be able to change
   any of the above options until lockdown is disabled again (e.g. gray out
   the option). Disconnect when lockdown option changes and reconnect to all
   servers.

The BIGGEST BANG FOR THE BUCK would be 4.: Allow the user to specific a
different (and exclusive) CA location.

It is not a big change and would open up Pigdin to a much larger user base.

regards,

Ralf