XMPP URI's on Windows

Fluteman WooyoTiNewe at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 13 06:18:23 EDT 2014

I'm entering this from left field, and maybe this is the blind
suggesting something to the blind (since you're on Win 7 and I'm on
WinXP), but here's what I tried when looking into the MIME association
for xmpp in the Registry:

Take Tres' suggested command prompt query "reg query "HKCR\xmpp" /ve",
and change the /ve parameter to /s, thusly:

    reg query "HKCR\xmpp" /s

Here's what I got from that:

~~~~~~~~~~
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xmpp
    <NO NAME>   REG_SZ  URL:xmpp
    URL Protocol        REG_SZ

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xmpp\DefaultIcon
    <NO NAME>   REG_SZ  C:\Program Files\Pidgin\pidgin.exe

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xmpp\shell
    <NO NAME>   REG_SZ

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xmpp\shell\Open
    <NO NAME>   REG_SZ

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xmpp\shell\Open\command
    <NO NAME>   REG_SZ  C:\Program Files\Pidgin\pidgin.exe
--protocolhandler=%1
~~~~~~~~~~

The value of importance on my system is the "no name" value in the
subkey "Open\command" which launches Pidgin to handle the xmpp protocol.

So I'm suggesting you use the /s parameter of the "reg" command on your
system to see all the subkeys and values under HKCR\xmpp.  I suspect
you'll find something similar; the thing to look for is whether it is
Pidgin registered to handle xmpp, or some other program.

One possible reason I could think that it may be wrong is if you have
any of your web browsers (IE, Chrome, Firefox etc.) set to insure that
they are *the* default web browser every time they start.  (Just
guessing.)  But if one of your browsers is overriding Pidgin, you may
need to turn of that "check I'm the one every time you run me" setting
in your browser.  If you find you need to do this, then - guessing again
- you'd then need to re-install Pidgin to have the Pidgin installer
point all the "chat" URL handlers back to Pidgin in the Registry.

P.S. I found a useful web page about this:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2011/07/14/url-protocols-application-protocols-and-asynchronous-pluggable-protocols-oh-my.aspx

...look in the subsection titled "Application Protocols" to see how this
might vary from one Windows version to another.  There is also a section
titled "Warning: Redirects to Application Protocols will not function"
which says that if your browser is an older version of IE, protocol
handling via an external program (i.e., Pidgin) will fail.  They give a
workaround, but it doesn't look great.

--Scott