About the status icon on XFCE/Xubuntu...

Ramos Secret alexsecret at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 30 09:13:39 EST 2014

Hi,
I'm sure this is an old issue many users have faced already but I can't find a complete solution for this on the internet.
I'm using Xubuntu and my problem concerns the status icon.  I have selected the option to have it shown always and it is shown always but I have to select elementary-xfce-dark as system icon theme for the tray icon to actually reflect my status changes.  If I use another icon theme, say Faenza, the status icon changes to a purple smiley and that's it.  It never changes.  How can I make that tray icon reflect the status changes without necessarily using one specific icon theme please?
Thank you.