Upgrade Issue - Windows Version

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Sun Jul 13 13:07:48 EDT 2014

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 9:55 AM, Stu Parker <sparker2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> uh oh....is there a way to downgrade then upgrade officially?

You could uninstall then reinstall an older version. For the official
builds this doesn't delete any of your settings. But also note that
this probably won't fix the problem, since all the official builds
look for your settings in the same location. And old versions are less
secure than the current version.

This story sounds weird. I'm imagining three scenarios:

1. This is a corporate computer managed by a central IT team at your
company. They chose to upgrade Pidgin on your computer. No idea what
happened to your settings.

2. You somehow have or had multiple versions of Pidgin installed at
the same time. Possibly an official build downloaded from a link off
of https://pidgin.im/ and possibly an unofficial or portable build
from elsewhere. Maybe you were previously running one of them and
you've now started running a different one.

3. You don't have an official build installed at all, just an
unofficial one from elsewhere. Maybe the unofficial one even includes
some sort of auto-updater.

In case #1, I suggest talking to your IT people. In cases #2 and #3, I suggest:
1. Uninstall Pidgin using Windows' standard add/remove software dialog.
2. Search your computer for any/all .purple directories. Find the one
you care about and put it in the standard location
(https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Using%20Pidgin#Whereismy.purpledirectory).
3. Download and install the newest version from
https://pidgin.im/download/windows/