query

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Thu Jun 5 23:58:59 EDT 2014

On 2014-06-05 10:21, Charlie Vine wrote:
> Just wondering, will my messages be encrypted if i talk while on
> facebook itself or does it have to be done through the actual pidgin
> application?

If you aren't using pidgin then pidgin isn't involved...

So is your question "Does Facebook encrypt IMs?"? If so, the answer is
that Facebook may use HTTPS consistently or they may not, but they
definitely have access to decrypt your IM traffic for their internal use.

While there might be plug-ins that allow you to encrypt locally before
sending text, these will only work if both sides use the same technique,
so no, your text won't be encrypted if one side is using a potentially
unencrypted endpoint like Facebook's own interface.

I hope this helps.

(Please Reply-To-All to include the list in any subsequent replies)

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/