purple-remote vs sudo

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Fri Mar 14 13:05:28 EDT 2014

Louise Baldwin spake unto us the following wisdom:
> How can I get purple-remote to work through sudo? The scenario is that
> I have a root cron job which automates several sequential tasks, some
> of which must be run as the "Louise" user. The other scripts/commands
> work fine using sudo, but purple-remote getstatus returns "No existing
> libpurple instance detected" despite that there is in fact an instance
> of Pidgin running for user "Louise" -- what is causing this
> discrepancy?

Purple-remote communicates with the running libpurple client via
d-bus.  You will have to ensure that the sudo'd environment has access
to the d-bus session under which the libpurple client is running.
There is probably information on how to accomplish this available on
the 'net somewhere; I imagine that it will require transporting a
number of environment variables from the session to the sudo
environment.

Ethan