Question

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Wed Mar 19 05:03:02 EDT 2014

On 19/03/14 08:24, Richard Lam wrote:
> Dear Pidgin,

This is a peer support mailing list.

> Is there a server system avaliable and can  administration look into all messages. This system will be used for a school.

Pidgin is intended for use with, typically pre-existing, third party
server systems, of many different kinds.  You will need to contact the
supplier of the system you intend to use.

Most people setting up internal servers use XMPP based servers. As far
as I know, XMPP doesn't provide end to end encryption.

Pidgin also supports Apple's Bonjour protocol, on a single broadcast
area.  That doesn't use servers.  I don't know what security features it
has, and therefore if it is possible to monitor.  However, if it does
provide encryption, it will be intrinsically end to end.

I assume that your requirement is that the system be insecure as far as
the teachers are concerned.  There are, I believe, Pidgin plugins that
try to make such systems end to end secure, but you would see the
resulting encrypted data, even if you couldn't decipher it.

There are generally a lot more questions on this list from people trying
to prevent intelligence gathering by central authorities, than trying to
allow it, although the financial services industry does have that sort
of requirement.