Hello World, how to use bonjour

Tres Finocchiaro tres.finocchiaro at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 13:51:56 EST 2014

> This is my point. A more specific questions goes on the lines of:
> - How do I create an account.

You don't. Adium's tutorial
<ftp://ftp.cs.stanford.edu/pub/Mac/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/AdiumHelp/pgs/Account-Bonjour.html>is
a bit better in this regard (the software differs slightly, but same idea)

> - What do I need to be running t make the account work (you said to
> install avahi-discover) but I think this is more complex than flipping
> a switch on the preferences. IE seems this is a gtk app and I use KDE.

Pidgin already requires GTK and avahi-discover uses GTK w/ what appears to
be a python-gtk GUI.  I'm not sure if there is a gui-less version, you'll
have to contact the avahi list, but as a KDE user I doubt this is the first
GTK app you've installed.

> - What is the process to discover users, is there a 'scan' tool or does
> users just show up on my buddy list.

They just show up.  It's part of the protocol.  You can use the command
line tool avahi-discover as well, if you are ok with installing it.

> - I see that the users show up on a bonjour group. Is this the default?

Yes.

If you read carefully you could see that I already knew all that. I was
> asking for Pidgin Bonjour documentation and not Bonjour documentation.
> Which is why I was addressing this mailing list.

And I stated that documentation is lacking in this regard.  Do you normally
criticize those that help you? :)