MSN-Kontakte in Pidgi nicht mehr angezeigt - no MSN contacts in Pidgin any more shown

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Fri Nov 14 17:56:45 EST 2014

On 14/11/14 22:37, EtremelGoogleMail wrote:

> Auf Ubuntu 14.04 in Pidgin 2.10.9 (libpurple 2.10.9)
> werden nur noch meine ICQ-Kontakte angezeigt.
> Meine MSN-Kontakte aber seit einigen Tagen nicht mehr.
> Woran könnte das liegen?
>
> In Ubuntu 14.04 in Pidgin 2.10.9 (libpurple 2.10.9) only my
> ICQ contacts are shown. But since some days no more my MSN contacts.
> What may be the reason for this?

Pidgin was pretending to be Windows Live Messenger 2008 (8.5), to get
round MSN's block on unauthorised clients.  Microsoft disabled access
from that product of theirs.  A new version is pending that pretends to
be a newer version of the Microsoft product.

See the mailing list archives for more details.

Also note that the latest final end date for the MSN service was the end
of October this year, so MSN could cease at any time.